Last revised January 1, 2022
Information We Collect
The information we collect about users varies depending upon the circumstances and the Services used.
GSN collects personal information directly from users, automatically related to the use of the Services, and in some cases, from third parties (such as social networks, platform providers, payment processors, and operators of certain third party services that we use).
Information We Collect From You. Generally we collect your personal information when you voluntarily provide it to us. However, if you decline to provide us with certain personal information, you may not be able to access certain Services or we may be unable to fully respond to your inquiry. We generally collect the following personal information from you:
- Registration and profile information: to access and use certain Services (e.g., to register and create an account, download or use a mobile application, access subscription-based Services,) you must register with us, by providing us with certain required information, which is identified on the registration page. Depending upon the Services you use, this may include your name, a user name and password, age, address, occupation, as well as country and city of residence, cable provider, email, and contact information, including telephone number; certain Services will not be available if you decline to provide required information. We may also ask you or allow you to submit additional information, which may include your preferences, a profile picture, and other profile information. If you sign up for marketing communications from us, we collect your email address, and we may also collect your name, preferences, and if relevant, information about your account and the Services and other games you use.
- Contestants and other show participants: we may collect information about you in connection with participation in one of our shows, such as your name, age, phone number, email and other contact information, current location and residency, occupation, social interests show preferences, and other demographic information. We may also run background checks on you in order to consider your application to be a contestant. If you participate in one of our shows, we may also collect footage and images related to the show you participated in.
- Administering contests and prizes: if you participate in one of our events, including shows, contests and sweepstakes, we collect information about you to administer the contest registration and prize acceptance, including to announce winners on and off air.
- Purchases and payments: if you make a purchase or sign up for certain subscription-based Services, you are required to provide your payment information, including name, billing and shipping address and details, payment type, as well as credit card number. We work with third party payment processors and fulfillment partners to process these payments. We do not collect, receive, process or store credit card or debit card numbers; this information is collected directly by these third parties. Depending upon the Service, we may receive your username, name, email, the payment type, product(s) or service(s), and other transaction details, and maintain records of your purchase and subscription history. For clarification and the removal of doubt, in instances where you are required to authenticate your cable, satellite or internet service provider subscription in order to view content on our Service, GSN will not collect your personal information in connection with your viewing practices.
- Events: we may also run contests, sweepstakes or other events or activities (collectively, “events”) on our websites and social media channels. Information collected for these events may include your name, age, email address, and other personal or demographic information.
- Surveys: we collect certain information from you, such as preferences and demographic information, if you choose to participate in one of our focus groups or surveys. Such information is generally used for internal purposes, for example to improve our Services.
- Your communications: when you email us, call us, or otherwise send us communications regarding the Services, we collect and maintain a record of your contact details, communications and our responses.
Information We Collect and Receive From Third Parties. We may collect and receive personal information about you from third parties, such as:
- Casting agencies: we receive personal information about individuals that are referred to us by a casting agency to participate in one of our shows.
- Social networks: GSN may offer you the possibility to connect your accounts from third party social networking sites, such as Facebook and Twitter (each, a “Social Networking Site”). By allowing GSN to connect with your accounts on such Social Networking Sites, you consent to GSN’s accessing the information in those accounts, which information may include personal information. It is your choice whether to use any such Social Networking Site, and you understand that in some instances such Social Networking Sites may request to access and publish information about you or your friends that is included in your GSN Account. If you post about us or our content or interact with us on a Social Networking Site, we may collect information about such content or interaction on that Social Networking Site.
- Marketing partners: we receive personal information about individuals in cases where we have arrangements with promotional partners or retailers, whereby they share with us personal information collected on their website (for example in case of a co-branded promotion event). In the event that we receive such information we combine it with our customer records.
- Third parties and analytics: we also may use third party tools to help us manage and analyze our social media presence, or other public channels and forums, such as analytics services. The information collection and sharing practices of these third parties are subject to their respective terms and conditions and privacy policies.
- Identifiers: when you access or use our Services through a Third Party Platform, we may collect or receive your device identifier(s), such as IP address, MAC address, and other device identifiers.
- Viewing data: we may collect information about our content that you view online, including through third party services. If you have authenticated with your cable provider full access to our content, we only receive de-identified data about viewing content.
Information We Collect Automatically. We collect personal information about how you use the Services and interact with us and others, such as information we collect automatically (e.g., using cookies and pixel tags), as well as information we derive about you and your use of the Services. We may link this personal information with the other information we have collected about you.
- Usage data: we automatically collect information about you through your use of certain of our Services, including log files, IP address, app identifier, advertising ID, location info, browser type, device type, domain name, the website that led you to our Services, the website to which you go after leaving our Services, the dates and times you access our Services, and the links you click and your other activities within the Services. We may also use pixels to collect information about how individuals interact with our Services, for example if they read the emails we send to them. See the Cookies and Other Tracking Information section below for more information.
- Location data: certain of the Services, such as our location-enabled mobile applications, may capture and record actual geolocation and general location data about you, your IP address, or the device you use to access the Services. We may also link location data to other information that we have about you or collect in connection with your use of the relevant Services. You can stop all collection of information by our GSN mobile applications by uninstalling the app. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the GSN app.
- App identifier: when you install or uninstall a GSN mobile application, it may contain a unique GSN app number and that number may be sent to us. Information about your installation, for example, the type of operating system, may also be sent to us.
- Other data: if you visit a physical GSN location, we may use CCTV and other security monitoring to secure our premises, which may lead to the collection of personal information about visitors to our premises.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use the personal information we collect for the following purposes:
- Providing our Services and related support: to provide and maintain our Services; to authenticate users; to perform technical operations, such as updating software; to provide and communicate with you about our Websites, Services, and other products and services; to respond to your requests; to administer Events that you participate in; to fulfill your orders, and process your payments; to provide technical support; and for other customer service and support purposes.
- Analyzing and improving our Services: to better understand how users access and use our products and the Services, for other research and analytical purposes, such as to evaluate and improve our Services and business operations, develop new features, products, or services, and to otherwise improve our Services and user experiences.
- Administering castings and events: if you apply to participate in one of our game shows, we may use personal information about you, including visual recordings, pictures and demographic information to administer the casting process. We also use certain of your personal information to administer our events, such as your name and certain biographical information for example to announce you as a winner or introduce you as a contestant on the show.
- Research and analytics: to better understand how users access and use our Services, and for other research and analytical purposes, such as to evaluate and improve our Services and business operations and to develop additional products, services and features.
- Personalizing content and experiences: to tailor content we send or display on the Websites in order to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions and to otherwise personalize your experiences.
- Marketing and advertising: to reach you with more relevant ads and to measure ad campaigns, to send you newsletters, offers or other information we think may interest you and contact you about our products or services or information we think may interest you, to administer promotions, sweepstakes, and contests, as well as to promote other services we offer. We may also share certain of your personal information, such as name, with third parties to generally promote certain of our shows or events.
- Third party offers: we may send you emails and promotional communications about third party offers and information we think you may be interested in.
- In support of our general business operations: where necessary to the administration of our general business, accounting, record keeping and legal functions, including to analyze operational and business results and risks, to collect outstanding amounts owed, and maintain business records.
- Complying with legal obligations: to comply with the law or legal proceedings. For example, we may disclose information in response to subpoenas, court orders, and other lawful requests by regulators and law enforcement, including responding to national security or law enforcement disclosure requirements.
How We Disclose Information
We disclose personal information, in order to provide and improve our products and services, reach users with more relevant information and offers, to make available third party offers you may be interested in, and as otherwise set out below.
Affiliates, Vendors and Providers. We disclose personal information to our vendors and others who we work with to make certain services available, such as our:
- Owners and affiliates: including owners and other related entities and their parents, subsidiaries, or affiliated companies, in order to provide portions of the Services or to provide other support for a GSN promotion. Please refer to the individual privacy policies of our related entities for details concerning how they handle your personal information. Please note, if you have created an account with us, we may create additional accounts for you on one or all of our affiliate websites. By registering for a GSN account, you consent to the creation of these additional accounts. You can monitor and terminate any of these additional accounts by logging into your account.
- Vendors: including service providers, contractors or agents who use such data in order to perform functions on our behalf, including (a) product and/or experience customization, (b) distribution of marketing and promotional material (including email campaigns), (c) website evaluation, (d) data collection, storage, management, analysis and, where applicable, cleansing, and (e) any other services designed to assist us in maximizing our business potential.
- Event partners: We may offer promotional content and events in connection with our sponsored by or co-branded with a third party to whom we may disclose your personal information as part of the event. If you select to sign up for the third party offer we email you about, we may share your GSN account information with the third party provider.
- License Partners: we may share your personal information with third parties who we sell and license our shows or related content to.
- Casting agencies: if you are a contestant or potential contestant, we share your personal information with our casting agencies.
In addition, we may disclose personal information in support of our business and operational purposes, including:
- Business transfers: as part of any merger, acquisition, financing, sale of company assets or interests in the respective company, or in the case of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, including during negotiations related to such business transfers.
- Legal compliance: to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding, in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process, or as part of an investigation or request from law enforcement or a government official.
Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may use and disclose aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified information about users for marketing, advertising, research, compliance, or other purposes. For example, we use for such purposes the number of users who visited the Website during a specific time period or redeemed a prize through the Services.
Cookies and Tracking
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Site, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities while using our Site. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Some of the Services may not work properly if you disable cookies.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (also referred to as web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Services to, among other things, track the activities users of our Services, help us manage content, and compile statistics about usage of our Services. We and our service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
Do Not Track (DNT). Our Sites currently do not respond to "do not track" signals. You may, however, disable certain tracking mechanisms in the cookie preference settings of your web browser and opt out of certain third party ad cookies on our websites.
Online and Interest Based Advertising
Advertising GSN Products & Services. After you use certain of the Services, our advertising partners may deliver GSN ads to your web browser when you are visiting other sites on the Internet. These ads are delivered based on cookies that may be set by us or by our third party ad partners when you visit or use the Services, and that may be recognized by these companies when you visit other sites. Please see the Cookies and Tracking section to learn more about setting your web browser to block cookies.
Ad Choices. Certain third party ad companies participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance self-regulatory principles for online behavioral advertising. As part of this program, consumers have an ability to opt out of behavioral (targeted) advertising. Pursuant to these principles, you may control how participating third party ad companies use the information that they collect about your visits to our websites and Services, and those of third parties, in order to display more relevant targeted advertising to you. For more information or to opt out of third party advertising cookies and tags on our Sites, go to www.privacyrights.info. You may also obtain more information about targeted or “interest-based advertising” by visiting www.aboutads.info/choices (Digital Advertising Alliance(US)) or www.youradchoices.ca/choices/ (Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada).
Opting out of participating ad networks does not opt you out of being served advertising. You may continue to receive generic or “contextual” ads on our Services. You may also continue to receive targeted ads on other websites, from companies that do not participate in the above programs.
GSN Services are not directed or targeted at children under 16 years of age. If you are a parent or guardian who has discovered that your child has submitted his or her personal information to GSN, we will make commercially reasonable efforts to delete the information from its database, at your request. To request the deletion of your child’s information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include in your message the same member name and password that your child submitted.
We have implemented a variety of safeguards designed to protect personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. However, no method of electronic transmission or storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords, or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Third Party Links
Consent to Processing in the United States
The Services are operated in the United States. By providing any personal information to the Services, all users fully understand and unambiguously consent to this Policy. By using our Services, participating in any of our Services and/or providing us with your information, you consent and agree to the collection, transfer, storage and processing of your information to and in the United States.
Your Rights and Choices
Marketing Communications. You may opt out of receiving marketing communications from us by emailing us at email@example.com, or by contacting us in writing as set out in the Contact Us section below. You may also opt out of email marketing by using the unsubscribe link in any such email we send to you.
Please note that marketing opt-out requests will only remove you from our direct marketing list and the list of any Service Provider performing services on our behalf. We are not responsible for the use any other party may makes of your personal information transferred prior to your opt-out and in accordance with this Policy. In such case, you will need to contact the relevant entity to have your personal information removed from the entity’s database. Please bear in mind that this opt-out choice for “third parties” will not apply to GSN, GSN licensees and/or co-branding participants, as set forth below. Please also keep in mind that any opt-out choices you make will not apply in situations where: (a) you either have made, simultaneously make, or later make a specific request for information from us; or (b) GSN uses your personal information for either operational purposes (e.g., to complete transactions requested by you, or to send you administrative communications either about your account with us or about features of our Services, including any future changes to this Policy, or any other policy or terms that affect you and your use of our Services) or fulfillment purposes (e.g., sharing with companies that facilitate communications and transactions with you).
California Residents. California residents have certain rights, under California privacy laws, regarding their personal information, which are set forth in the Additional Information for California Residents section below.
Changes to this Policy
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to modify, update, add to, discontinue, remove or otherwise change any portion of this Policy, in whole or in part, at any time. When we amend this Policy, we will revise the “last updated” date located at the top of this Policy for a reasonable amount of time. For changes to this Policy that we consider to be material, we will let you know by displaying a notice when you first use the Services after such changes have been made. We may also, at our discretion, provide notification of changes by other means. If you provide information to us or access or use the Services in any way after this Policy has been changed, you will be deemed to have unconditionally consented and agreed to such changes to the fullest extent permitted by law. The most current version of this Policy will be available on the Site and the GSN mobile app and will supersede all previous versions of this Policy.
You may contact us regarding questions about this Policy via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail us at:
Game Show Network
Attn: GSNTV Digital Support
2150 Colorado Avenue
Santa Monica, California 90404
Additional Information for California Residents
In this section, we provide information, as required under California privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), which requires that we provide California residents certain specific information about how handle their personal information, whether collected online or offline. This section does not address or apply to our handling of publicly available information made lawfully available by state or federal governments or other personal information that is subject to an exemption under section 1798.145(c) – (f) of the CCPA.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect and Disclose. Our collection, use and disclosure of personal information about a California resident will vary depending upon the circumstances and nature of our interactions or relationship with such resident. The table below sets out generally the categories of personal information (as defined by the CCPA) about California residents that we collect, sell, and disclose to others for a business purpose. We collect these categories of personal information from the sources described in the Information We Collect section above, and for the purposes described in the How we Use Personal Information section above. We do not currently sell personal information.
|CATEGORIES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED||COLLECT?||DISCLOSE FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES?|
|Name, contact information and other identifiers: identifiers such as a real name, alias, address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, IP address, app ID, email address, account name, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||Yes||Yes|
|Customer records: paper and electronic customer records containing personal information, such as name, signature, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, education, current employment, employment history, social security number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial or payment information, medical information, or health insurance information.||Yes||Yes|
|Protected classifications: characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law such as race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, citizenship status, and genetic information.||Yes||Yes|
|Commercial information: including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or use histories or tendencies.||Yes||Yes|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information: including, but not limited to, browsing history, clickstream data, search history, and information regarding a resident’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement, including access logs and other usage data related to your use of any company websites, applications or other online services.||Yes||Yes|
|Geolocation data: precise location information about a particular individual or device.||Yes||Yes|
|Audio, video and other electronic data: audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information such as, CCTV footage, photographs, and call recordings.||Yes||Yes|
|Employment history: professional or employment-related information.||Yes||Yes|
|Education information: education information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.||Yes||Yes|
|Inferences and profiles: inferences drawn from personal information to create a profile reflecting a resident’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, or aptitudes.||Yes||Yes|
California Residents’ Rights. California law grants California residents certain rights and imposes restrictions on particular business practices as set forth below.
Do-not-sell. California residents have the right to opt-out of our sale of their personal information. However, we do not currently sell personal information (and in the 12 months prior to the “Last Updated” data above have not sold).
Notice before collection: we are required to notify California residents, at or before the point of collection of their personal information, the categories of personal information collected and the purposes for which such information is used. You can find our Initial Notice at the top of this Policy.
Request to delete: California residents have the right to request, at no charge, deletion of their personal information that we have collected about them and to have such personal information deleted, except where an exemption applies.
Request to know: California residents have the right to request and, subject to certain exemptions, receive (at no charge) a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about them in the prior 12 months and to have this delivered, free of charge, either (a) by mail or (b) electronically in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily useable format that allows the individual to transmit this information to another entity without hindrance. California residents also have the right to request that we provide them certain information about how we have handled their personal information in the prior 12 months, including the:
- categories of personal information collected;
- categories of sources of personal information;
- business and/or commercial purposes for collecting and selling their personal information;
- categories of third parties/with whom we have disclosed or shared their personal information;
- categories of personal information that we have disclosed or shared with a third party for a business purpose;
- categories of personal information collected; and
- categories of third parties to whom the residents’ personal information has been sold and the specific categories of personal information sold to each category of third party.
California residents may make a request to know up to twice every twelve (12) months.
Right to Non-Discrimination: the CCPA prohibits discrimination against California residents for exercising their rights under the CCPA. Discrimination may exist where a business denies or provides a different level or quality of goods or services, or charges (or suggests that it will charge) different prices, rates, or penalties on residents who exercise their CCPA rights, unless doing so is reasonably related to the value provided to the business by the residents’ data.
Financial Incentives. a business may offer financial incentives for the collection, sale or deletion of California residents’ personal information, provided it is not unjust, unreasonable, coercive or usurious, and is made available in compliance with applicable transparency, informed consent, and opt-out requirements. California residents have the right to be notified of any financial incentives offers and their material terms, the right to opt-out of such incentives at any time, and may not be included in such incentives without their prior informed opt-in consent.
We will respond to verifiable requests received from California residents as required by law.
For more information about our privacy practices, you may contact us as set forth in the Contact Us section above.